There is no doubt about the convenience of store-bought pasta sauce. You pick it up, take it home, heat it with pasta and dinner is ready. It only takes minutes! However, store-bought sauces are not your best choice. Homemade spaghetti sauce in Williamsport, PA is easier to make than you realize. However, if cooking is not your forte, here are five reasons why you should avoid store-bought spaghetti sauce and consider a local spaghetti sauce for your next meal:
- Low-quality ingredients: The biggest problem with store-bought pasta sauce is that you do not know what you are eating. Sauces contain preservatives and excessive sodium, which are hazards for some health conditions. They also contain excess fat and sugar, and no fiber. Homemade sauces do not contain preservatives, and they use fresh ingredients. Fresh tomatoes offer more fiber content and flavor to sauces, so they do not have to rely on excess sugar and salt. This combination creates a healthier, better-quality spaghetti sauce.
- Flavor: Sauces made in the factory and stuffed into cans and jars are not fresh when they arrive on store shelves. When you purchase it, the freshness only diminishes. If you want it to have any flavor whatsoever, you need to simmer it, add herbs and hope it is more presentable. If you are going to put that much effort into a canned or jarred sauce, you might as well make your own. Fresh tomatoes, the act of simmering and the use of fresh herbs creates a much more flavorful sauce.
- Avoid toxins: Another course of action people take is to use canned tomatoes for a sauce and call it “fresh.” Unfortunately, this presents its own set of issues. The linings in tin cans and plastic packaging contain BPA. Exposure to BPA increases your risk of developing hormonal deficiencies and cancer. BPA becomes a more significant threat with tomatoes, because tomatoes’ acidity leeches out more of the toxin. While it is okay to rely on canned tomatoes in a pinch, start using them less often and look into local spaghetti sauce varieties in Williamsport, PA.
- Fresh tomatoes are better: So far, you know canned and jarred sauces offer less nutrition and may place toxins into your bloodstream. Besides these reasons, fresh tomatoes provide more benefits than their canned counterparts. Tomatoes are known to help digestion, stimulate circulation, reduce blood pressure and fill you with vitamins and minerals. Most of these advantages disappear in the canning process.
- Save money: Homemade tomato sauce only has a few ingredients, and you can use one pan. Recipes also make several portions, so you have enough left over to freeze and thaw for later use. Taking time to make the sauce in bulk costs less per serving and saves money overall. The same savings arise when you buy locally-made sauce from a delicatessen. Our sauce is so savory, and you do not need to drown your pasta in it to enjoy the flavor. A little goes a long way!
Tony’s Delicatessen & Fresh Meats in Williamsport, PA offers a heat-and-serve menu with dishes featuring our local spaghetti sauce. There is no reason to settle when you do not have time for homemade spaghetti sauce but want something better. Check out our menu and call today to place an order.
Categorised in: Deli
This post was written by Writer