If you love sausage, you’ve come to the right place. Tony’s Delicatessen & Fresh Meats makes our own sausage in house, so you can rest assured you’re getting the finest quality meat possible. We make several varieties, including hot sausage, sweet sausage, fresh sausage and Kielbasa. Stop by our store today to learn more about our locally-made sausage in Williamsport, PA, or read on to learn more about our selections.
How the sausage is made
Sausage can be made from a variety of different meats, including pork, chicken, beef, veal, lamb and more. Although many people associate “sausage” with highly processed foods, when you seek out quality sausage, it’s a delicious treat. Sausage is also a smart way to use more parts of the animal than the choice cuts Americans tend to love. Instead of tossing any small pieces that can’t be sold as steak and other cuts, these still-tasty bits are ground and made into sausage.
Typically, sausage is made by grinding meat and piping it into a casing (which is made from another often-unused animal part). The sausage might be meat and fat only, or it can be combined with spices, breadcrumbs and even fruits like apple and vegetables like onions or leek. Some sausage varieties stuff the casings with cheese, too, making for a delicious, melty treat.
How to find good-quality sausage
Picking a great sausage is easy when you shop at Tony’s—anything we make in house is guaranteed to be of the highest quality. Here’s how to tell it’s great:
- The fat is white: No matter whether you’re picking a dry (cured) sausage or another variety, if there’s fat in the sausage, it should be white. If you see yellow or pink fat, that means it’s not fresh or a lot of food coloring is used. Sure, food coloring won’t hurt you, but artificial ingredients are unnecessary when the product is great.
- The smell is mild: All sausage should be fairly mild in scent, especially if it’s fresh. If your fresh sausage has a very strong or heavily seasoned odor, it may be past its prime or use too much flavoring to hide poor-quality meat.
- The color is even: Your sausage should have an even color throughout. If you’re choosing a dry sausage, the darker it is, the more meat product it contains. Of course, you’ll pay more for higher-quality sausage, but it’s worth it for better ingredients and flavor.
- The casing is natural: Natural casings are always a good indication that the sausage is high quality. Some dry sausages use cellulose for casing, which is also a fair approach.
- The ingredients do not contain soy: If you’re looking for meat sausage, avoid soy—seeing that on an ingredient list means you’re getting very little meat.
No matter what kind of sausage you’re choosing, it’s worth the cost to get a reliable and all-natural product. Stop by your local sausage makers in Williamsport, PA at Tony’s Delicatessen & Fresh Meats today to pick up some house-made sausage today!
This post was written by Writer