No meal is complete without a healthy dose of fruits and veggies. Not only is fresh produce suitable for you, but when it’s correctly chosen, the right produce can turn a standard piece of meat into a meal. Of course, there’s nothing more frustrating than going through the process of carefully choosing the right fruits or vegetables, only to find that they’re past their prime when the time has come to enjoy them.
To help avoid that terrible circumstance, here are some lessons on how to select produce in Williamsport, PA.
Here are some tips on how to select fruit in Williamsport, PA:
- Apples and stone fruit: If your fruit has seeds or a definite pit, make sure that the surface of the fruit is entirely intact when you purchase it. It should also be clear of bruises.
- Bananas: Bananas travel on the color spectrum from green to yellow to speckled to deep brown. They’re considered ripe when they’re yellow with a few brown spots. When the brown takes over (or the banana turns black), it’s time to look elsewhere.
- Citrus fruits and melons: When you first pick up citrus fruit, it should feel heavier than it looks (you’ll know what we mean when you hoist it). You should avoid any specimens that have white or yellow streaks, as well.
Here are some tips on how to select vegetables in Williamsport, PA:
- Leafy vegetables: Lettuces and spinach can be daunting because they involve sifting through several leaves, but don’t be worried! Just make sure that the leaves are crisp and stiff. If they’re wilting or there are brown spots on the leaves, move along.
- Bell peppers: Make sure that the surfaces of your peppers are free of any wrinkles and their stems are mostly intact.
- Onions: When you pick up an onion or any other root vegetable, make sure that it is firm to the touch. If the surface layer is spongy, it could mean rot further down.
- Broccoli and cauliflower: perhaps more than any other produce, the color of broccoli and cauliflower is most important. Broccoli should be a light green, while cauliflower should be an off-white. Make sure to avoid any with brown spots or withered tops.
Tony’s is your go-to for produce
Don’t take chances on an inferior product. If you want to know how to select produce in Williamsport, PA, the answer is simple: come to Tony’s Delicatessen & Fresh Meats. We offer a selection of produce that will make your mouth water.
For more than 40 years, Tony’s Delicatessen & Fresh Meats has provided the area’s best fresh meats and produce. We’re a family-owned-and-operated market that takes pride in serving our clients the same restaurant-quality ingredients we would serve to our own family. All it takes is one trip to taste the difference.
We also offer incredible catering services that will transform your next event into one you’ll cherish for years to come. One phone call or one visit, and we’ll be happy to show you a bold new world of taste.
Categorised in: Fresh Produce
This post was written by Writer