The Benefits of Locally Grown Fruits and VegetablesJune 17, 2019 2:08 pm Leave your thoughts
One of the aspects of our business we’re most proud of is how many locally grown fruits and vegetables we have to offer our clients, whether in the form of fruit platters or fruit baskets in Williamsport, PA. There’s just something special about biting into a fruit you known was grown right here in your local area by farmers who care about their crops. And of course, those locally grown strawberries go great with our homemade shortcake!
What exactly is it that makes locally grown fruits and vegetables so beneficial? Here are just a few examples:
- Flavor: Produce that’s grown locally is much more likely to have been picked at its peak harvest time and perfect ripeness, rather than being harvested early to meet shipping and distribution timelines. Local farmers don’t have to worry as much about those deadlines, so they can harvest their produce when it tastes the best and when it’s actually ready for consumption.
- Healthy: Local food is going to be packed with way more nutrients than produce shipped from around the country or internationally. Local food has a much shorter time between its harvest and consumption, which means it’s not as likely that the nutrient value has decreased, as it is with the produce you’ll most likely find at the grocery store. This isn’t produce that has sat in a distribution center for a while—it’s brand new and ready to eat today.
- Supporting local: It’s always great to support local businesses and the local economy whenever you’re able to do so. Any money you spend with local growers ensures that the money you spend will stay close to your home and community, which is beneficial for all businesses and services in the area.
- Environmentally friendly: By purchasing food that was grown in your local area, you’re also helping to keep farmland and green spaces going in your community. Not only that, but it’s less likely that local growers are going to have as many issues with pesticides and other chemicals that can harm the environment.
- Safer food: The more steps you put in between you as the consumer and your food, the more likely it is that the food will become contaminated at some point. When purchasing from local growers, you know exactly where the produce came from, and you can trust that it’s completely safe for your consumption.
- Seasonal eating: If you really want to focus on getting the right flavors for the season, then it’s a good idea to opt for local growers, because you’ll always be able to find what’s right for this time of year.
- Information: If you purchase directly from local growers at farmers markets and other types of markets, you’ll be able to ask them directly how they raised and harvested the crops and what sort of sustainable practices they use.
For more information about the benefits of eating locally grown produce, we encourage you to contact Tony’s Delicatessen & Fresh Meats today. For that matter, just come see us and pick up a fruit platter in Williamsport, PA assembled from locally grown produce!
Categorised in: Fruit Baskets, Fruit Platter
This post was written by Writer