Watermelon is, as its name suggests, almost entirely water. This makes it an ideal snack in the summertime, because it tastes great and also helps to keep you hydrated on those hot, humid, sunny days.
Of course, you can eat watermelon by itself and get a whole lot of enjoyment out of it. But there are also a variety of other things you can do with watermelon that you might not have thought of before.
Here are 10 examples of watermelon recipes you should try out this summer when putting together fruit platters in Williamsport, PA:
- Green watermelon smoothie: Water may be the most hydrating drink there is, but a good fruit-and-veggie juice will always go down smoothly on a hot summer day. Crete a mixture of romaine lettuce, cucumber, limes, kale, celery and watermelon and blend it all together, serving it in mason jars.
- Mint watermelon juice: Another refreshing drink for the summer months, this juice features a simple blend of watermelon, mint, honeydew melon, cucumber and lime. It makes a great poolside or beach drink!
- Tropical smoothies: Another great beach drink, you can mix watermelon, pineapple and mango together in a blender and serve in a glass with a straw. You might even consider adding a little bit of rum to it, just to see how it tastes.
- Fruit salad: Watermelon is great in all different types of fruit salads, but one of our favorites is a simple combination of watermelon, blackberries and grapefruit. The sweetness of the watermelon, the tartness of the grapefruit and the balance and texture of the blackberries make a great fruit salad.
- Strawberry watermelon popsicles: Homemade popsicles are healthier and just as refreshing as the kinds you’ll find in the freezer aisle! Blend together strawberries and watermelon, freeze them with popsicle sticks stuck inside, and enjoy!
- Watermelon frozen yogurt: Mix together blended watermelon and low-fat frozen yogurt, then freeze it to create a delicious dessert that just tastes like summer.
- Jalapeno gazpacho: Chilled soups make a great meal in summer. Create a blended mixture of tomatoes, watermelon and cucumbers, and add in some jalapenos for a little bit of a kick.
- Tomato watermelon salad: This is yet another tomato/watermelon pairing on our list. The two simply make a great combination, and this salad showcases them both. Add in other ingredients, such as fruits, berries and feta cheese.
- Fish tacos: Fish tacos are another summer favorite that often get topped with a refreshing slaw. Try making the guacamole with watermelon instead of the standard guacamole recipe!
- Watermelon benedict: Give a unique summer twist to your next benedict. Substitute granola for the biscuit, a thick hunk of watermelon for the egg and yogurt for the hollandaise sauce. You can use a bit of kiwi as a topping and mint as a garnish to complete this great breakfast treat!
For more watermelon ideas, or to order fruit baskets in Williamsport, PA for a summer event, contact Tony’s Delicatessen & Fresh Meats today!
This post was written by Writer