At Tony’s Delicatessen & Fresh Meats, we’re not just famous for our tasty cuts of meat. Our deli is also proud to offer a wide range of fresh produce in Williamsport, PA, including berries!
When you step through our doors, you’ll have access to local, home-grown romaine lettuce, spinach, all different kinds of berries, fruits, melons, seasonal fruits and vegetables and more. All of these fruits and veggies are guaranteed to be pesticide and herbicide free!
Does this pique your interest? Here are just a few reasons why you should support locally grown produce as much as possible:
- It’s fresher: Fruits and vegetables start losing their most important nutrients as soon as they’re plucked from the plant. Buying local produce means you’re getting food that has been harvested much more recently, as it hasn’t had as much time to travel and lose its nutritional benefits.
- It’s better for the environment: Some fruits and vegetables get shipped thousands of miles to their final destination. Not only does this drastically reduce their nutritional value, but it is also horrible for the environment. Think of all the fossil fuels that are spent moving produce around the country and planet! You can help reduce the carbon footprint associated with transporting this produce by shopping local.
- It helps to preserve farmland: Buying foods that are grown closer to where you live helps maintain green spaces and farmland in your area, especially for smaller farmers who need much more support.
- It promotes variety: The more people shop local for their produce, the more variety it will encourage among local growers. Farmers who run community-supported agriculture programs, provide food to local restaurants and sell their produce at local farmers markets will also have a greater demand and more economic ability to grow different types of produce.
- It promotes greater food safety: The less your food has to travel between where it’s grown and your kitchen, the less likely you are to have food that is contaminated and could potentially cause illnesses.
- It promotes seasonal eating: While it’s nice to have fresh berries or tomatoes all year round, this just isn’t how the environment works. Many times you’re purchasing produce that has been “artificially ripened” with gases, or eating out-of-season versions of fruits or vegetables that have been shipped thousands of miles to get to you. Seasonal eating means you’re always getting the highest-quality produce, and it also is simply much better for the environment.
- It supports your local economy: The small, local farmers need your financial support. Otherwise, you’re basically handing your money over to massive corporations, which care far more about profit margins than they do about the quality of the food or the environment.
These are just a few of the biggest reasons why Tony’s Delicatessen & Fresh Meats is so proud to carry fresh produce in Williamsport, PA, and why we hope you will do your part to support the farmers who grow it and provide it.
Categorised in: Fresh Produce
This post was written by Writer